So I'm trying out a blog. Those of you that are reading this (the two of you) probably already know why I would create an online journal of self-indulgent ramblings, but if you don't, the reason is that I frequently think about things that, while interesting, probably aren't worth publishing in anything more than a blog.
But very few people know what's the significance of the number 44, other than that it's my number of choice for playing lotto, pick-a-number-from-1-to-100, guess the number of golf balls in the jar, whatever (read: lucky number). So how does one come to choose such a random lucky number?
Well, it all started in a really lame way. Fourth grade rec-league basketball, I had to choose a jersey number. Well, as fate would have it, I didn't choose the number that would later become my signature one. I was indecisive and a fellow team mate retired his personal number, 44, and encouraged me to pick it up.
Well I used the number for two or three more seasons and that was the end of it-- until 8th grade.
Like something going off in the cosmos of coincidence, I suddenly began to see the number everywhere. In my bank account and lunch numbers, temporary assigned codes, phone numbers and people's ages. Then, while researching the significance of the number (yes, I know) I discovered the biggest coincidence of all. Apparently, for all you college football fans out there, 44 was one of the most significant jersey numbers in college football history, and it originated at Syracuse University, located in my hometown and the college I was born practically right across the street from. According to its athletic website:
"Number 44 not only has come to represent greatness on the football field, it has become a part of the university’s and the community’s identity." I had no idea of this, because I moved away from New York when I was eight. Here's the full story if you seriously have the time to not only read this blog but also see what this link has to offer.
http://suathletics.syr.edu/sports/2006/1/18/fb44bios.aspx
Strangely enough, 44 also has significant implications, at least in Mark Twain's mind.
http://www.twainquotes.com/Number44.html
Oh yeah, and it's current US postage.
Well, that's it. My first blog post (unless you count Facebook's "Notes" that nobody really uses except for horribly annoying chain games). In the future, expect a whole host of quirky topics of this sort, with concentration on outdoors stuff, philosophical outlook, cultural meanderings and random things of that sort. Yup.
No comments:
Post a Comment